Another week, another brawl, another chance to earn 1000 gold for three quick games on Heroes of the Storm. Of course, “quick” has become somewhat debatable in the weekly brawls because either Blizzard has run out of ideas for fun and quick brawls or they are testing the waters with every single idea someone throws at them. This week’s brawl is “Mage Wars,” which pits plenty of mage and caster characters against each other on the Tomb of the Spider Queen.
- Choose from one of three randomly selected Mage Heroes before entering the battle on Tomb of the Spider Queen. Be quick about it though, you only have 30 seconds to choose!
- No talent or level restrictions
- Mana regeneration is increased by 50% for all Heroes
- All spells deal double damage to structures
- The first team to destroy the enemy Core wins!
- Keeps Core Mechanics Alive: Countless brawls have just been about constant team fights, so it’s fun to have this weird mishmash of both “fun” mechanics and the core mechanics of laning/soaking. In ⅔ of my game, people simply forgot do so and they were fighting in mid lane for a good three or four minutes.
- Fun to just Keep on Blastin’: Though many key mechanics of Heroes are intact in this brawl, increased mana regeneration and damage to buildings gave me plenty of incentive to just blast away with my spells.
- Chaos, but fun chaos: Combined with the increased mana regeneration and increased damage to structures, be prepared to see several orbs just fly about from Li Ming in every match. It felt chaotic but…in a good way.
- Awfully long, full length matches: Somehow, even with the increased damage to structures, matches lasted a long time still. Perhaps it’s because everyone was focused on team fighting as opposed to taking down structures, but damn did each match feel long. Realistically, brawls should be quick and dirty so players will easily earn their 1k gold and go back to playing the other game modes, but not this week, homeboy.
Overall, not a bad brawl. It’s fun, albiet long, but nothing will ever be as terrible as Hammer Time, which I still pray does not return.